Safer Travel - Covid 19
As non-essential retail, outdoor hospitality, indoor leisure and outdoor settings begin to reopen, passengers are reminded of the importance of following the mandatory rules for the protection of themselves and others when using public transport.
If you do need to use public transport please check your journey before travelling and consider the following:
- You must wear a face mask or face covering when travelling on public transport*. This should cover your nose and mouth. A face covering is not the same as the surgical masks or respirators used by healthcare and other workers as part of personal protective equipment (PPE). These should continue to be reserved for those who need them to protect against risks in their workplace, such as health and care workers, and those in industrial settings, like those exposed to dust hazards.
- Try to travel off-peak if at all possible.
- Keep a 2-metre distance from others at all times. This includes waiting for your bus service at your stop, queueing to board and depart the bus and when riding the bus.
- Wait for passengers to get off the bus before boarding.
- Try to use contactless payment if you can, or have the exact fare for your journey. Many of Hertfordshire's bus operators also sell tickets online through their websites and apps.
- Follow instructions from the bus driver and other staff.
- If you can, wear a mask or face covering where social distancing is not possible.
- Do not stand in the aisle of the vehicle or near the driver.
Passengers please note that due to social distancing measures the number of passengers that buses are able to carry is restricted. A bus that is already carrying its maximum number of passengers will not stop unless someone wishes to alight, although it may look as though there are seats available. Under these circumstances drivers will apply a "one-off, one-on" policy for all travellers' safety.
*Exemptions - people who do not have to wear a face covering
Please find a full list here of people who do not have to wear a face covering.